Tyngsboro, Massachusetts

Tyngsborough (also spelled Tyngsboro) is a town located in northern Middlesex County, Massachusetts, 28 miles (45 km) from Boston, along the Route 3 corridor. Tyngsborough was settled in 1661, as part of the massive Dunstable Township.

After Tyngsborough was incorporated, it became known for its ferries, which travelled up and down the Merrimack River. Today, Tyngsborough is primarily a bedroom community, part of Greater Lowell and the Nashua, New Hampshire region, representing an easy commute to the Boston area. The town is probably best known now for its green painted single-arched iron bridge over the Merrimack. Constructed in the early 1930s as a replacement for an earlier wooden planked structure, this bridge has become the town’s emblem, and more practically, a major river crossing for residents of Massachusetts and New Hampshire alike.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 18.0 square miles (47 km2), of which 16.9 square miles (44 km2) is land and 1.2 square miles (3.1 km2) is water. Tyngsborough is bordered by the towns of Dunstable, Groton, Westford, Chelmsford, and Dracut, by the city of Lowell, and by the New Hampshire communities of Hudson, Pelham and Nashua. Besides a series of lakes and ponds that dot Tyngsborough, the town is split in two by the Merrimack River.

What can J. Butler Do For You?