Woburn, Massachusetts

Woburn is a city in Middlesex County, Massachusetts, located nine miles north of Boston. Woburn was first settled in 1640 near Horn Pond, a primary source of the Mystic River, and was officially incorporated in 1642. Woburn got its name from Woburn, Bedfordshire, in England. Capt. Edward Johnson is regarded as the father of Woburn. He served as the first town clerk, represented the town in the Massachusetts General Court, made the first map of Massachusetts and wrote the first history of the colony.

Important events in Woburn’s history include: construction of Gershom Flagg’s tannery (1668), opening of the Middlesex Canal (1803), establishment of Thompson’s tannery at Cummingsville (1823), commencement of operation of the Boston and Lowell Railroad (1835), founding of the Woburn Sentinel newspaper (1839), opening of the first membership library (1840), the start of operation of the telegraph (1867), opening of the public library (1879), introduction of the telephone (1882) and electric lights (1885), incorporation of the city (1888), opening of Route 128 (1951) , closing of the Rail depot (1962), the move of the Massachusetts Rifle Association (America’s oldest active gun club) to Woburn (1876).

Points of interest include the 1790 House, Baldwin House, Benjamin Thompson House, Winn Memorial Library and Woburn Memorial High School. MBTA bus routes run through Woburn along its main roads.

What can J. Butler Do For You?