Holliston is a New England town in Middlesex County, Massachusetts, located due west of Boston (known as the MetroWest), the only town in Middlesex County that borders both Norfolk and Worcester counties. At the time of the earliest European settlements, what is now known as Holliston was part of the territory of the Awassamog family of Natick (the first Nipmuc Praying Town), who also held authority over land near Waushakum Pond at Framingham and land near Annamasset at Mendon.
On the north side of Route 16 heading into Milford sits a large rock, weighing easily more than five tons (4.5 metric tons). The rock appears to be balanced precariously on an outcrop of granite ledge. On November 6, 1789, General George Washington led his entourage from Boston to New York via this route. Legend has it that, as they came across this “Balancing Rock,” they took the opportunity to have some fun and tried their best to tip it over but were unsuccessful.
Populated by factories and farms until the latter part of the 19th century, the town has since transformed itself into a bedroom community for Boston and the Route 128 and Route 495 technology belts. Holliston is known for its quaint Town Center with its Fiske’s General Store, the Superette, numerous antique shops and boutiques, Carnegie public library, town hall and white-steepled churches, all of which contribute to its distinctive New England character.