Scituate is a seacoast town in Plymouth County, Massachusetts, on the South Shore, midway between Boston and Plymouth. Scituate was settled around 1627 by a group of people from Plymouth who were joined by immigrants from the county of Kent in England. They were initially governed by the General Court of Plymouth but in October 1636, the town incorporated as a separate entity. The name Scituate is derived from satuit, the Wampanoag term for cold brook, which refers to a brook that runs to the inner harbor of the town. In 1710, several residents emigrated to Rhode Island and founded Scituate, Rhode Island, naming it after their previous hometown.
In 1717, the western portion of the original grant was separated and incorporated as the town of Hanover. In 1788, a section of the town was ceded to Marshfield. In 1849, another western section became the town of South Scituate, which later changed its name to Norwell. Since then, the borders have remained essentially unchanged. Fishing was a significant part of the local economy in the past, as well as the sea mossing industry. A small fishing fleet is still based in Scituate Harbor.
In 1810, a lighthouse was erected on the northern edge of Scituate Harbor. This lighthouse is now known as Old Scituate Light. During the War of 1812, a British naval raiding party was deterred by the two daughters of the lighthouse keeper playing a fife and drum loudly.